How to wear Salwaar Kameez
The salwar kameez is a traditional dress style popular in Southeast Asia, but the term is very broad and actually applies to a wide range of varying clothing styles from multiple countries. A salwar kameez can be quite simple and comfortable or very intricate and decorative, making different styles suitable for anything from work and everyday life to formal events and weddings. The two major components of any salwar kameez are the tapered pants (the salwar) and the long tunic or shirt (the kameez), but many women also wear a dupatta (a scarf) as well. While wearing a salwar kameez is quite simple and very comfortable, selecting the right one based on material, color, and occasion can be slightly more difficult.
- If you don’t have a tank top that matches or compliments the color of your kameez, a white one will do
- Put the pants on as you would any other pants, with one leg through each pant hole.
- Position the waistband at your waist (just above your belly button). Pull the drawstring tighter to keep the pants in place, then tie the string into a bow.
- If the pants are tapered at the bottom, position them so your pant legs aren't twisted.
- When pulling on the shirt, be sure that you don’t catch any beads, hooks, or special designs on your hair or other garments.